Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kiki Smith...I like how you think.

I saw the Kiki Smith show at the Brooklyn Museum (same day as the Fashion show) and was actually really drawn in by the videos of her talking about her work. The way she speaks about creativity and the process and being a female was so poignant for me right now. This idea of women needing space to be creative and that we are amazing creatures able to live, create life, keep lives and families thriving all while trying to carve out a little time/space for our own creativity. A quote from the shows intro was really what hit me...

"...privacy and personal liberty are vital to the success of creative pursuits." (Virginia Woolf "A Room of One's Own")...Space therefore is the key to artistic inspiration."

The show was pretty fun to experience. I do like her aesthetic and bits and pieces of the show, but wasn't blown away by her work as a whole. I actually really just love her process and watching and listening and imagining her working on it all. She talks about this "fluttery chaos" that she feels she needs to have around her in order to create. Maybe I can channel that way of working. I definitely have the chaos thing going on. It think it would be fun to be her assistant. Although with this review, I probably wouldn't get very far with her. Lillia said it was "too scary for her". Maybe it was the funny little sculptures of child-like people?? And Theo was pretty mellow through it all.